machine applique, quilt

Seven Quilts for Seven Souls

Last April I was commissioned to make seven quilts. Yes, you read that correctly, seven quilts.  I won’t bore you with all the details of submitting designs and the outrageous quantity of Woven Fusible I used but I will say that I did enjoy the work.

Mrs. M had specific ideas about what she wanted. Turns out that is terribly helpful. She knew what she liked and there wasn’t any wishy-washy-ness. Once we settled on the pattern I got to work.

The top of each quilt is made almost entirely from her father’s clothing. The jet black Kona used for the borders, binding and backing is the only non-clothing material used in these quilt tops.

This is a photo of one of the smaller quilts. The quilt I made for Mrs. M’s mom was larger, close to  60×80, and many of the squares had the logos from his golf shirts – think country club.  There were also a few fun shirt logos tossed in for fun, like Stoli Vodka!  I  included the logo from his favorite brand of ties, Countess Mara, too. Sadly, I didn’t think to snap a photo of the big quilt. sigh.

The large “M” in the center of the quilt was made from Dad’s favorite jacket, also made by Countess Mara. I machine appliqued it to the black square in the center. The black block was cut from tuxedo pants (or a jacket, depending on the quilt) and the surrounding triangles were made from dress shirts (tuxedo shirt for Mrs. M’s mom and dress shirts for the others).

I was well into the quilt making process when Mrs. M asked me to include tie logos in all the quilts. Unfortunately I had cut around the logos and thrown out the itty bitty pieces that were left. I called Countess Mara, explained my project and they were kind enough to send me some tie labels. I stitched one down on each quilt top.

Each of the granddaughters had a special patch sewn onto her quilt.

And the back of each quilt had special sayings, individually bordered and scattered across the back

The fabric used around the labels was cut from a purple and white striped shirt. I stitched the pieces together so each label has a cool design element. Mrs. M’s Dad went to Northwestern University and purple and white are the colors. Let it also be noted that the quilts were each named “Go Cats!” for the aforementioned university.

The quilts were Christmas presents.

I received an email from Mrs. M on Christmas Eve. She looked all over the City to find big, pretty, white boxes to wrap the quilts. She found them and tied a pretty purple bow on each package. The email had a photo of the quilts, boxed and ready to go. It simply said “Beautiful Boxes for Beautiful Quilts” and made me smile.

friends, machine applique, quilt

Sugar and Spice

Sugar and spice and everything nice, that’s what little girls are made of.

It’s so true and I’m thrilled that this quit is going to one of the sweetest little girls ever.

I finished the quilt for Ava and I love it! So does she, and more importantly, her mom.

I finished quilting and binding the quilt several weeks ago. Every time I’d grab it to take to my friend I remembered that the owl and birds had no eyes and the butterflies had no antennae. I drew those on with a Pigma pen.

I quilted with a simple straight line through the center of each strip. Larger strips had several quilting lines. I quilted around the trees, leaves, animals and flowers, too. The leaves have veins and the butterflies have little circles on their bodies. I’m not sure if you can see that in this picture, though, and now the quilt isn’t here for me to snap a photo of that. drat.

I sketched the tree, leaves, butterflies and owl on newsprint before transferring them to Steam-a-Seam lite and applying them to the background. Once the parts were ironed onto the background I stitched around them, then again when they were quilted. I suspect that this quilt will be heavily used and a little extra stability seemed like a good idea.

The entire quilt was pieced entirely from strips and scraps and fabric that I had in my stash. I have a lot of fabric and I’m trying to use up some of it. I did have to buy the beautiful striped batik for the binding but think it compliments the fabric nicely. What do you think?

machine applique, quilt, sewing

Makin’ Headway

Little Mister is with my parents for the week. He calls it Camp Mimi and Papa. I call it a much needed reprieve, though truth be told I miss him terribly and am ready for him to come home. I have one more day to be productive. I made certain the house was mostly clean and organized on Sunday so I could ignore it this week to sew. It’s been quite nice.

I’m making headway on this quilt that I blogged about in November. I’m almost finished with the quilting and am extremely happy with how it looks.

A close up view

I pressed all the seams open and initially was stitching “in the ditch”, except there wasn’t much of a ditch. After a few passes I took out those stitches and started sewing straight lines through the middle of each piece.

I always love an opportunity to practice my free motion quilting. After all, practice makes perfect. I outlined the leaves and stitched in the veins. The tree has a planned, stipple-like wave quilting and all the flowers outline the outside edge.

The quilt really looks great!  It’s well quilted but the quilting doesn’t take away from the overall design. I can’t wait to show you the finished product. I’m hopeful that I’ll finish the quilting tomorrow and get it bound by this weekend.