Spray paint can turn the ugliest find into the prettiest treasure.
Case in point:
In the interest of brevity, I’ve decided to post a few quick things (and by a few I mean way too many but it’ll make me catch up) from the last few months. I’m still painting, scraping, taping and moving things around like a wild woman but the house is starting to come together. That’s a good thing because I’m tired of the dust, and if we (by we I really mean “I”) don’t finish soon-ish things may get ugly around here.
I managed to make two quilts for some special girls in my life. The quilts are for sisters so they have a lot of the same fabrics but they aren’t duplicates of each other:
Started to scrape the popcorn ceilings:
Painted, then repainted, the walls in the boys bathroom:
Decorated a clipboard so my friend’s daughter could take it to camp:
Joined a CSA:
Learned to can vegetables:
Bought some awesome chairs and made cushions for them:
Designed and made Jedi robes for the boys for Halloween:
Cleared out ivy from a 10′ x 100′ space behind our retaining wall:
Widened the walkway between the patio and yard:
Cleared out a space for a play set:
Then mulched it:
Watched beautiful flowers grow:
Painted rooms and hung shelves:
Went to Berlin:
Decorated a book bag for the little one:
Enjoyed the splendor of fall out my back door:
Dressed as Pop Art for Halloween:
Enjoyed some time with the wee one:
And now. Now I collapse. (okay, well, after I paint my kitchen cabinets)
I worked my fingers to the bones. Okay, well, not to the bones, but I put in a lot of hours in on this tree skirt. I figured out that I spent something like three or four minutes per yo-yo (making it, attaching the button then attaching to the tree skirt). And there were 100 yo-yo’s. That’s a lot of minutes. The tree skirt was a HUGE success though, and worth every minute I put into it. The auction was a blast and the tree skirt sold for a pretty penny, which makes me happy. The tree skirt went to a friend of mine and I know it will be well loved for years to come. That’s the reward for me.
For anyone wondering, and on the off chance you want to make one, here are the instructions.
I began with nine fat quarters and, basically, made a gigantic nine patch. I started with an 18 1/2″ center. I decided that the tree skirt would look more symmetrical if the center was square. I added a fat quarter to each side of my green center, then took three more fat quarters and stitched them together along the short side (the 18″ side) to make a side panel. I repeated this to make two side panels. After the side panels were made I attached them to the center panel. Note that the side panels will be larger than the center panel since the center piece was cut smaller.
Then I assembled the back. I started with 1 2/3 yard of fabric. I cut off the selvedges and stitched a 10″ x 60″ strip to each side of the main fabric. I placed the top over the bottom, wrong sides together.
To make sure I accurately cut the center and opening of the tree skirt I found the center of the green square by drawing a line 9″ from each side. I then used my blue chalk marker and drew an approximation of the circle size and opening I wanted. I made a few measurements then determined I should have a 4 1/2″ radius for the circle – meaning I marked a 4 1/2″ spot all the way around the center of the square to get a 9″ opening. You could also use a plate or other round object – this just worked for me. I drew the opening lines using a ruler. I then decided to use a 23″ radius for the outer portion of the tree skirt and made those marks. Then pin, pin, pinned the heck out of the thing.
After the pinning madness I stay-stitched a quarter inch around the center opening (or something like that), along the sides and around the bottom of the skirt. I didn’t want the tree skirt to stretch while I was sewing on the binding. Next steps- sew on the bias binding, attach the yo-yo’s and stitch down the handprints.
ps- Worth noting is that the buttons in the center of the yo-yo’s were a variety of sizes and colors. Blue, purple, turquoise and black buttons gave the tree skirt a little zip! Enjoy!
I am making a Christmas tree skirt for Little Mister’s class auction project.
I started by cutting out 8″ squares of white on white fabric and putting them in a 9″ square in a manilla folder – secured on the back side with masking tape so the fabric wouldn’t bunch or move. Each folder was labeled with the child’s name so I couldn’t mess it all up. Genius, right?
I let the kids choose which hand to use (i.e. right or left) and they could choose from four green paint colors. I’m pleased that we’ve used left and right hands and all four of the paints. Variety is nice.
Each hand print has been bordered with a complimentary green fabric. The hand prints will get appliqued around the border of the skirt, along with yo-yo’s and stars. Well, maybe some stars. Each yo-yo has a button in the middle. The buttons are shades of green, red, black, white, gold; there are a few purple, blue and pink buttons for variety and to break up the monotony. I might make a few blue and purple yo-yo’s too. I have about 50 yo-yo’s made so far. If I am calculating correctly I need about 100. The auction is March 4th. I need to start whipping those things out!
I “found” some time this weekend and was able to cut out the skirt (it started as a giant block of nine fat quarters) and I put on a red and white stripe binding. I used red ric-rac for the ties and I’m considering putting bells on the ends just for fun.
Here’s what I have thus far
I took this photo on Monday. I have a little more than half the binding sewn on as of this afternoon.
I used ric-rac for ties and really LOVE the bias binding so I’m showing it off here.