As usual, I started this with just a concept in my head. For the most part it worked. Until I got to the borders. Then it got tricky.
And that’s saying something since the borders are just kinda borders, right?
Well, now they are.
If I actually sat down and drew out a plan (either on paper or my computer), I would have seen that extending the hexagons into the borders wasn’t going to work. At least not with this size hexie I was using. I mean, it would have been really cool, and it’s something I might use in the future.
You know, when I have the math all sorted.
After I had the center pieced, and had attached the inner border (which took much longer than expected because I had to variegate it), then I got to move on to the outer borders.
Originally my plan was to extend the hexagons from the center to the outside, but, like I said a few paragraphs ago, it didn’t work because I couldn’t make the corners fit.
See? I’d have to chop off too much of a hexie.
I also wish I’d realized that BEFORE I put on the top border.
It looked awful because I couldn’t halve the hexagons along the top – I had to have a hexagon at the corners – but I was not going to have ANY of that.
I tried a few different things like having a grey variegated border, but I wasn’t a huge fan of that either.
So, after fussing for a few days.
Daaaayyysss, y’all, daaayyysss….
I decided to get a print that reads as a solid and call it a day.
My hope is that when I (or someone else) quilts it, the borders will have some fun thread work. Perhaps I’ll have the quilting follow the color pattern of the quilt, going from red to pink to purple to blue to green.
I should probably make a plan for that before I start.